deadline June 30, 2021
New DEADLINE: June 30th, 2021
Dominican Writers mission is centered on writing and sharing our stories because they matter. These are unprecedented times, amidst the Coronavirus pandemic we are re-opening our call for submissions to collect your stories, your experiences, your reality as a resident of Washington Heights living through this pandemic. #coronavirus #callforsubmissions #dominicanwriters #storytelling #cuentacuentos
Open to emerging & professional writers of ages 12 and up and abilities. Aligned with Dominican Writer’s mission to elevate local narratives and stories, the WHMP helps amplify local voices through an array of writing tools, along with the professional development needed for writers to publish on their own.
The WHMP will include residents of Washington Heights/Inwood neighborhoods including youth with similar artistic pursuits in order to create an archive of our experiences living and or working in the Washington Heights/Inwood area. Submissions will be included in an anthology to be published by end of 2021.
- This call for submission is inclusive of everyone regardless of race, nationality, class, gender, age, religious beliefs, and or sexual orientation. Participants must be living or working in the Inwood/Washington Heights area.
- For inclusion in the memoir unrelated to the Corona virus-Participants will be required to have resided or worked within the neighborhood.
- CORONA VIRUS inclusion– You must currently be living in Washington Heights/Inwood areas.
- Can submit in either English, Spanish, or Spanglish
- Creative non-Fiction (memoir, personal narrative, essay) -2-5 pages max
- Poetry (may submit up to two pieces for consideration)
- The first page of your submission should include full name, phone number, mailing address, and social media handles.
- We do not accept work that has been previously published online or otherwise.
What we are looking for:
- Stories that impacted you, your family or neighborhood, your experience, your reality. What have you observed, survived, struggled or fell in love with while being part of this community?
- Memories of landmarks such as the Morris-Jumel Mansion, Dyckman Houses, Malcolm X Center, Churches, Parks, Streets, Residential Buildings, Hospitals, Train Stations, etc.
For more information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Listing expiration: June 30, 2021.