In 2016, the Washington Heights Business Improvement District (BID) will implement GoUptown.NYC, a marketing and events program that celebrates the vibrant, diverse and unique culture of Washington Heights and Inwood. It will highlight the best of life in Northern Manhattan by bringing a series of arts, culinary, health and beauty experiences.
Coinciding with the 2016 Uptown Arts Stroll, GoUptown.NYC will install light pole banners throughout Northern Manhattan. These banners will be up for six months, from June through November 2016. Washington Heights BID is asking local artists to submit creative artwork for the banners with the theme of “The Best of Uptown Manhattan.”
The banners will be 96″H x 36″W size. Please submit art that will be conducive to the banner specs.
For more information on the initiative, please contact the Executive Director of the Washington Heights BID, +1 212 928-3400,
- Artist must be a resident of Washington Heights–Inwood or West Harlem (West 135th to 220th Street).
- Artist may submit only one (1) image for consideration.
- Entry must be submitted by e-mail to by Sunday 24 April 2016, 11:59 p.m. EDT (submission deadline extended). Please write “GoUptown.NYC banner contest” in the subject line of your e-mail message.
- Image file must be a high-resolution (300 dpi only) JPG or PDF without the artist’s name.
- E-mail entry must include:
- Artist’s full name (first and last)
- Artist’s brief bio or artist statement
- Phone number
- E-mail address
- Art work title and media
A panel of distinguished judges, drawn from the local arts community, will select the artwork that will represent the 2016 GoUptown.NYC initiative. Consideration will be given to eye-catching, original and unpublished images. Three winning designs will be selected. Notifications will be sent out via e-mail in the first week of May.
Selected winners agree:
- The selected images will be used in the banners that will represent and promote the 2016 GoUptown.NYC initiative. The BID will work with you to include additional text in the banner, such as dates, contact information, sponsors, etc.
- Allow images to be used in any publications with the following dimensions:
- Banner: 96″H x 36″W size
- Other marketing and promotional materials
- Allow for full color and B&W reproduction.
- Each winning artist will receive a $200 honorarium