Deadline February 8, 2022
The goals of The Miranda Family “Voces Latinx” National Playwriting Competition are to discover, develop, and promote Latine/Latinx plays and playwrights that explore every aspect of contemporary life from every corner the United States including Puerto Rico as well as histories that connect us to our homelands whether it originates in Mexican, Spanish, Caribbean, Central or South American tradition.
By the mid-21st Century, 1 in 3 people will identify as having raíces Latine/Latinx (Latin roots). We have journeys and histories that need to be heard and experienced on stage. Through Voces LatinX, we hope to celebrate our community, its complex identities and experiences.
We encourage underrepresented voices, Afro-Latinx, Indigenous, LGBTTQIA+ and Women from the community to participate as playwrights or as judges.
We welcome all full length plays in English, Spanish or Bilingual where Latine/Latinx characters are central to the play and heroes of their own stories.
We need all perspectives as we look to strengthen our presence and impact as theatre artists. To that end, Voces LatinX provides that first action to create an American Theatre that is inclusive and reflective of the Pan Latine/Latinx Community.
- Latinx culture, history, ideals and characters must be central to the play submitted. The community must be accurately depicted.
- No screenplays, one act plays, adaptations or translations will be accepted.
- Musicals must submit the recorded music.
- New and un-produced plays preferred. Plays that have had readings or a workshop production are acceptable.
- All plays must be original and full-length (minimum running time: 75 minutes) Must be at least 18 years of age and residents of the United States or Puerto Rico.
- Winners will be announced 7- 8 months after the deadline.
- Each participant will be notified of the results by e-mail.
- We request that participants do not contact the office to inquire about the competition’s results.
Finalists will receive a staged reading at Repertorio to further develop the script.
- Grand Prize Winner: $3,000
- 2nd Place: $2,000
- 3rd Place: $1,000
- (2) Runners up at $500 each.
Must follow instructions and fully fill out the form to participate. Unfortunately, we cannot accept any changes or re-submissions once the script has been submitted. Do not send any other biographical information or reviews.
Deadline: February 1, 2022
Send all of this information and the requested materials via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Voces Latinx: Title of –Your- Play”.
Send the following information within the body of the e-mail:
- Your full name
- Your e-mail address
- Your cell phone number
- Your mailing address (street address, city, state, zip code)
- How did you hear about the competition?
- 4-6 line synopsis
- 4 -6 line description of how your play relates to the Latinx / Hispanic American community
Send the following as an attachment:
- One ELECTRONIC COPY of your script – WITHOUT your name on it. (PDF ONLY)
- Please OMIT your name from the script
- Do NOT send other biographical information or reviews
Listing expiration: February 8, 2022.