The American Academy of Arts and Letters
Job Title: Art Handler
Location: Washington Heights
Reports To: Exhibitions & Programs Manager
Position Type: Part-time, freelance
The American Academy of Arts and Letters is inviting experienced and well-organized Art Handlers to become part of our team. Candidates will be proficient in the handling, packaging, and care of both contemporary art and 19th- and 20th-century art within a museum setting. In this role, you will embody a friendly and approachable demeanor, representing the institution positively when interacting with colleagues and vendors. We value teamwork, collaboration, and community engagement, and we are committed to fostering a work environment that upholds Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Access (DEIA) principles in the arts and in our daily interactions.
Key Qualities and Responsibilities:
Artwork Handling: Safely manage the packing and unpacking of artworks, utilizing designated techniques, materials, and crates for wrapping and packing.
Art Installation and De-installation: Proficiently execute the installation and deinstallation of artworks in a museum environment, employing designated techniques and tools while ensuring precision and care during installation.
Proactive and Organized: Approach your tasks proactively, and maintain an orderly workspace to facilitate a seamless workflow.
Problem-Solving Proficiency: Demonstrate your ability to swiftly troubleshoot and find solutions when challenges arise.
Resource Management: Maintain organization of operational tools and materials, ensuring the orderly accessibility and utilization of resources.
Inspection and Documentation: Assist our staff in conducting thorough inspections of artworks and objects in our possession, preserving their optimal condition, and maintaining accurate records within our systems.
Welcoming and Engaging Demeanor: In your role as an Art Handler, you will represent our institution by projecting a friendly and approachable attitude when interacting with both staff and vendors.
Team Collaboration: Collaboration and teamwork are paramount to our operations, and your ability to work harmoniously with others is essential.
Cultural Adaptability: Display agility in adapting to diverse cultural contexts and interactions.
Inclusivity and Respect: Actively contribute to cultivating a work environment that fosters respect and inclusivity, ensuring that every team member feels valued.
- 2+ Years preferred experience in art handling and installation, familiarity with art conservation principles and practices is a plus.
- Proficiency in the use of art handling equipment and tools.
- Clear communication skills with coworkers and supervisors.
- Must be highly organized, proactive, and work well under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs independently, be comfortable on a ladder or lift, and stand for extended periods.
- Ideally located near our campus in Washington Heights.
Listing expiration: October 20, 2023.