The Culture, Creativity, & Care Initiative at Marcus Garvey Park is a two-year project organized by Harlem Grown. The CCCI will amplify Harlem’s rich history and culture. Within the Mellon Foundation’s Humanities in Place Initiative, this project will focus on fostering creativity and care in this essential public space at the heart of New York’s Harlem community. Marcus Garvey Park has historically provided space for culture, activism, and engagement during periods of social, political, and environmental transformation resonant in Harlem and beyond. At Harlem Grown, we believe in inspiring and empowering our community to live healthy and fulfilling lives and encourage you to join us on our mission to promote wellness through the power of green spaces.
VISUAL ART OPEN CALL
Beginning in January 2023, Jerome Haferd from BRANDT : HAFERD, a Harlem based architecture and design studio, facilitated workshops with Harlem residents to co-create a temporary art installation. This structure followed a co-creation model where community members, local artists, and stakeholders worked with the design team to develop an intentional space for the enjoyment of Harlem residents and Marcus Garvey Park visitors.
The structure has been designed to be inviting and also allow for visual art exhibitions, artist showcases, soapbox performances, open mics and writing workshops. Harlem Grown is requesting a call for visual artwork to be displayed as part of a rotating public art exhibition that will be adhered to the BRANDT: HAFERD art installation beginning July 2023 – September 2023.
- This is not a call for commission. This is a call for completed artwork for exhibition purposes.
- Harlem Grown will work with artists and a vendor to reproduce selected artwork in a material for outdoor display that will be about 4ft x 8ft or 4ft x 4ft (depending on resolution and aspect ratio of original art).
- Harlem Grown will cover reproduction, installation and de-installation.
- You, as the artist, retain ownership of all original artwork/files. Submitting to this open call does not represent a transfer of ownership. After work is exhibited, the reproduction will be given to the artist.
- Selected artists will be compensated for their work.
To apply, visit https://www.harlemgrown.org/ccc-open-calls
Application closes May 14 @ 11:59pm EST
Please also email MarcusGarveyParkCCCI@harlemgrown.org.
Listing expiration: May 14, 2023.