The Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance (NoMAA), in collaboration with NewYork–Presbyterian – The Allen Hospital, welcomes submissions for NoMAA’s next exhibition titled “Utopia,” curated by Leanne Stella, Director, Art In FLUX, under the Art In FLUX 2017 curatorial theme, “Re-Imagining a City.”
Artists are invited to present artworks that use art and play as catalysts for innovating urban life. Through two-dimensional works and an imaginative lens, the artworks can reshape or re-visualize parks, playgrounds, streets, public transportation, architecture, food, urban farms and communal places, re-imagining the city with playfulness and whimsy and encouraging peace, community, and egalitarianism.
Location: NewYork–Presbyterian – The Allen Hospital, Main Administrative Corridor, 501 W 218th St, New York, NY 10034
Dates: 16 February – 3 May 2017
Deadline for submissions: Tuesday, 31 January 2017, 11:59pm EST
Eligibility: Open to all artists who reside or work in the uptown communities of El Barrio, Harlem, Washington Heights, Inwood or Marble Hill.
Please read and follow the guidelines carefully.
In order to be considered, artists must submit via email all relevant attachments to by Tuesday, 31 January 2017 before 11:59pm EST. Submission is FREE: no submission fees required. Questions? Call +1 212 567-4394.
All email submissions must include:
- Six JPG images of two-dimensional artwork (ready to hang), each file up to 3 MB in size, at a resolution of at least 300 dpi.
- A fully completed submission form.
- A brief narrative of no more than 10 lines to accompany the images that conveys the artist’s thoughts about their submission as a whole. Please indicate the sequence of the artwork.
Please read and follow the instructions carefully.
- Selected artists must provide all the requested materials by the dates indicated, ready to hang (see timeline below). All works must have hanging wire attached to the back (2” below top edge of work); no other hanging hardware will be accepted.
- Each of the selected artists will be provided with a stipend of $400.
- All artwork must be available for the duration of the show.
- All artwork must be appropriate for all ages.
- All work must be labeled on the back with the artist’s name, title, medium and sale price, if any.
- Sales of works are not conducted at NoMAA. However, participating artists must provide a price list, and you will be contacted directly by interested buyers. We suggest a donation of 15 percent of the sale go toward NoMAA to help sustain our gallery program.
- Images of the artwork may be used by NoMAA for promotional and archival purposes.
- Tuesday 31 January 2017, 11:59pm EST: Submissions due
- By Thursday 9 February: Notifications sent via email
- Monday 13 February: Delivery of artworks (ready to hang)
- Wednesday 16 February: Opening reception
- Thursday 4 May: De-installation
Please help us spread the word to any Northern Manhattan artists who may be interested in participating.
Listing expiration: January 31, 2017.