DEADLINE: MON FEB 20, 11:59pm
Women in the Heights: Women of Substance, Past, Present, Future
Curated by Andrea Arroyo
The 14th annual Women in the Heights exhibition will be installed in NoMAA’s gallery space, on the ground floor in the historic United Palace. Exhibition opens March 23, 2023.
In celebration of Women’s History Month (March), we invite artists to submit works that are inspired on the lives and impact of women, real, imagined, past, present and future.
Eligibility: Open to self-identified women artists working or residing in El Barrio, Inwood, Washington Heights or Harlem. Above 110th Street on the West Side (west of 5th Ave) and above 96th Street on the East Side (east of 5th Ave).
Artwork eligibility: Each artist can submit up to 3 works. Wall-hung works in all fine art media up to 90” in length or height, and weighing under 20 lbs.
Written/spoken word works (maximum 250 words) must be submitted as a video with accompanying text.
Visual artworks in all fine art media will be considered. All digital images submitted must be ready for inclusion in the online gallery on nomaanyc.org. For assistance, review NoMAA’s Practical Steps for Digital Image Preparation with Patricia Miranda on our YouTube channel HERE
- Please submit up to three (3) jpg or png images, (2500+ pixels on the shortest side of the image (4000+ pixels recommended), at least 1mb.
- Label images as follows:
Last Name_First Name_Title_Media_Size_Year_Price.jpg
(e.g.: Smith_Maria_Woman_in_Blue_Acrylic on canvas_12x12in_2020_100.jpg)
- Be sure to not use special characters in your file name ($ <> ? / \ ” * : + = ). Use only letters, numbers and hyphens ( – ) or underscores ( _
Spoken word work
Spoken word works may be published or unpublished and must be submitted by video and text. Cell phone quality video is sufficient. Maximum of 3 minutes and 250 words. Chosen works will be displayed as a wall label with the full text and QR code link to your video.
Submission Deadline (EXTENDED): February 20, 2023
- January 23, 2023 – Submissions open
- February 20, 2023 – Submission Deadline
- February 27, 2023 – Notification of accepted work
- March 10, 2022 – Deadline to delivery accepted works to NoMAA
- March 23, 6-8pm – Opening
- Artist Talk – TBD
- Exhibition closes – TBD
ACCEPTED WORK (please read and follow the instructions carefully):
Participating artists must provide all of the requested materials by the dates indicated above.
- All artwork must be wall-hung, ready to hang. Work must be under 90” in length or height and under 25 lbs.
- All artwork must be presented in a professional manner, including professional-grade framing, matting and display materials. Unframed works must be cradled, stretched or appropriately mounted (excluding textile, 3-D or odd-shaped works, which must include professional hanging hardware.)
- All works must have hanging wire attached to the back (2-4” below top edge of work,) no other hanging hardware (string, monofilament, etc.) will be accepted.
- All work must be labeled on the back with the artist’s name and title.
- All artwork must be available for exhibition for the duration of the show.
- Sales of artworks are not conducted by NoMAA. However, a price list will be available, and artists will be contacted directly by interested buyers. We suggest a donation of 15% of the sale price to NoMAA to help sustain our programs and artists grants.
- Images of the artwork may be used by NoMAA for promotion of the exhibit (for non-commercial purposes only), including on NoMAA’s Google Arts and Culture page.
- Artists will sign a loan agreement provided by NoMAA at the time of notifications.
- Artists are strongly encouraged to participate in an artist talk (In-person or virtual, depending on pandemic guidelines,) and other exhibition programming.
- NoMAA has general liability insurance up to $2,500 for each work. Any additional insurance is the artist’s responsibility.
If you have any questions, call (212) 567 4394 or email email@example.com
ONLINE APPLICATION HERE
Listing expiration: February 21, 2023.