NoMAA’s Open Call: Make Manhattan Count – 2020 Census PSA
OPEN CALL DEADLINE March 2, 2020
Awards of $500 – $750 will be given to the winning submission(s).
Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance (NoMAA), in partnership with the Manhattan Borough President’s Office ‘s Make Manhattan Count Initiative, seeks PSA (Public Service Announcement) video submission of 30 seconds to 2 minutes to encourage participation in the 2020 Census.
FREE ONLINE APPLICATION www.nomaanyc.org
The census is much more than just a head count.
It provides a picture of our nation that helps determine where to build new schools, hospitals, and businesses; how federal funding is distributed; and how congressional seats are apportioned. Cities like ours, with diverse populations and large immigrant communities are at risk of being undercounted. This call for submissions seeks to specifically address the community of Northern Manhattan, encouraging full participation in the census count.
Video should address at least (2) of the following points:
– Citizenship status is not part of the census. ALL RESIDENTS must be counted.
– The census form can be completed in paper, by phone, or online for the first time in 2020.
– Census numbers determine federal funding for community resources such as schools and hospitals.
– Your information is confidential. Records are kept closed for 72 years.
– Census workers will never ask for your Social Security number, bank information or anything related to political parties.
– The form is available in 12 languages (online form) and 59 languages (support materials).
– Enumerators (census workers) will never enter your home and can only ask for questions in the census form.
– Entries must be uploaded to Youtube, and Youtube url (website link) entered in submission form
– Multi-lingual entries are encouraged.
– Animations welcome.
– Original works only.
– Must be in landscape format (horizontal).
– Length of 30 sec to 2 minutes. Selected video will be subject to editing by NoMAA.
– Video must be clear and of good quality (dimensions 720 at minimum, a modern cell phone will be sufficient).
– Sound must be audible.
– Collaborations with artists in different disciplines welcome, including group submissions.