The Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance (NoMAA), in collaboration with NewYork–Presbyterian – The Allen Hospital, welcomes submissions for NoMAA’s next exhibition titled “Portraits of Community: People, Places.” The exhibit seeks to present two-dimensional artwork by Uptown artists that portrays an open, diverse, and multifaceted sense of community. We are interpreting the concept of “portrait” broadly to encompass people and places that make up the Uptown community. Guest-curated by Gabriel de Guzman (Curator of Visual Arts at Wave Hill).
Dates: 19 September – 19 December 2016
Deadline for submissions: Friday 9 September 2016, 11:59pm EDT
Eligibility: Open to all artists who reside in and whose images reflect the Uptown communities in El Barrio, Harlem, Washington Heights, Inwood and Marble Hill.
Please read and follow the guidelines carefully.
In order to be considered, artists must submit via email all relevant attachments to by Friday 9 September 2016 before 11:59pm EDT. Submission is FREE: no submission fees required. Questions? Call +1 212 567-4394.
All email submissions must include:
- Six JPG images of two-dimensional artwork (ready to hang), each file up to 3 MB in size, at a resolution of at least 300 ppi.
- A fully completed submission form.
- A brief narrative of no more than 10 lines to accompany the images that conveys the artist’s thoughts about their submission as a whole. Please indicate sequence of artwork.
Please read and follow the instructions carefully.
- Selected artists must provide all of the requested materials by the dates indicated ready to hang (see Timeline below).
- Each of the selected artists will be provided with a stipend of $400.
- All artwork must be available for the duration of the show.
- All artwork must be appropriate for all ages.
- All work must be labeled on the back with:
- artist’s name,
- title, and
- sale price, if any.
- Sales of works are not conducted at NoMAA. However, participating artists must provide a price list, and you will be contacted directly by interested buyers. We suggest a donation of 15 percent of the sale go toward NoMAA to help sustain our gallery program.
- Images of the artwork may be used by NoMAA for promotional and archival purposes.
- Artists will be required to participate in a panel discussion. Date TBC.
- Friday 9 September 2016, 11:59pm EDT: Submissions due
- Monday 12 September: Notifications sent via email
- Wednesday and Thursday, 14 and 15 September: Delivery of artworks (ready to hang)
- Monday 19 September: Opening reception followed by an “Intimate Voices” concert
- October (date TBC): Artist talk
- December (date TBC): De-installation
Please help us spread the word to any Northern Manhattan artists who may be interested in participating.